Devilled Chicken Wings
1 kg chicken wings
2 cloves garlic, crushed
60ml extra virgin olive oil
2 tbs Dijon mustard
45g soft brown sugar
2 tbs Worcestershire sauce
2 tbs balsamic vinegar
1 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp sweet paprika
1 tsp salt
1 tbs soy sauce
1. Place the chicken wings and all the ingredients in a large non-metallic bow. Stir to combine. Refrigerate for at least 6 hours or preferably overnight, stirring often.
2. Place the wings in a single layer on the tray/s, making sure they are not overcrowded or overlapping.
3. Cook for 30 minutes, then turn over and cook for another 20 minutes or until golden and sticky.
Recipe adapted from : Grillhouse, gastropub at home by Ross Dobson, pg 46
Avocado and Green Pea Hummus
1 clove garlic, chopped
2 cups frozen peas
½ ripe avocado
2 tbs lime juice
1 handful of cashew nuts chopped
1tbs parmesan cheese
1. Microwave frozen peas for 2 minutes or until cook.
2. Spoon out the avocado flesh and put into a food processor. Add the lime juice and garlic. Add the green peas then process until puree.
3. Mix in parmesan cheese and nuts. Season to taste.
Recipe adapted from :Nigella Express, Nigella TV programme
Crab & Corn Cakes with Coriander Dipping Sauce
50g plain flour
1 garlic clove, finely chopped
Stalks of 4 coriander springs, roughly chopped
Kernels cut from 3 fresh corn cobs (I used one big can of corn kernels)
200g fresh crabmeat
2 spring onions, thinly sliced
Oil for deep fry
Lime wedges, to serve
1. Place the egg, flour, garlic, coriander stalks and 1/3 of the corn in a food processor and process to a rough paste.
2. Add crabmeat and spring onion, then pulse briefly to just combine. Transfer to a bowl, then mix with the remaining corn kernels and season well with salt and pepper.
3. Half fill a deep fryer with oil and heat to 190C. Working in batches, carefully drop a heaped tablespoon of batter into the oil for each fritter, Fry, turning, for 1 -2 minutes until golden and crisp.
4. Serve immediately with the coriander dipping sauce.
Coriander dipping sauce
110g caster sugar
60ml rice vinegar
1 tbs fish sauce
1 tbs sweet chilli sauce
2 small red chillies, finely chopped
2 tbs coriander leaves, finely chopped
1. Place the sugar with the rice vinegar and ¼ cup water in a saucepan then stir over low heat until sugar dissolves. Cool slightly, then add in fish sauce, sweet chilli sauce, fresh chilli and chopped coriander leaves.
Recipe adapted from : delicious, more please, ABC Books, pg., 22