250g unsalted butter (at room temperature)
50g icing sugar
2 egg yolks
360g plain flour mixed with 2 tbsp corn flour (sifted)
¼ tsp salt
2 big pineapples,
100g rock sugar,
2tbs glucose syrup
1 cinnamon stick,
1 star anise,
1tbsp of lemon juice
To make the filling
1. Slice and cut pineapples into pieces.
2. Put in the food processor to grate it.
3. Strain the grated pineapple till dry. Put the grated pineapple in a heavy saucepan and cook until juice has dry up.
4. Add rock sugar, sugar and the spices. Stir till the pineapple has thickened and dry. Add in the lemon juice.
5. Continue cooking for another few minutes until filling is dry.
6. Leave to cool and shape into small balls.
To make the pastry
1. Cream butter and icing sugar until light.
2. Beat in egg yolks, one at a time.
3. Add in salt and beat until fluffy.
4. Fold in sifted ingredients (divided into 2-3 times) and mix into a firm dough.
5. Leave aside for 30 minutes.
6. Divide pastry in to 20g each. Wrap the pineapple jam with pastry.
7. Brush pastry with egg yolk and use a pair of scissors snip the pastry in 45 ° angle to make it like the pineapple eyes
8. Bake in preheated oven for 15 minutes and turn the baking tray 180 ° and continue to bake for 2 minutes or until golden brown.